IABC Chicago is one of the largest IABC chapters in the U.S. and is the oldest chapter in the world. The group originated in 1924 as the Industrial Editors Association and later changed its name to the Chicago Association of Business Communicators before becoming IABC Chicago in January of 1980.
- Approximately 300 members
- Number of Accredited Members (ABC): 28
- Number of Corporate Members: 118
Top 5 Member Industries
- Advertising / PR
- Health Care
Years in practice (includes all annual, corporate and 500 Club lifetime members)
- 0‐5 years: 70 members
- 6‐10 years: 185 members
- 11‐15 years: 275 members
- 16‐20 years: 311 members
Yearly Chapter Events
- An average of nine professional development and networking events
- Two Senior Communicator Forums
- Three webinars
- Bronze Quill Award Program and Gala (32 Awards distributed in 2013)
- Average number of unique volunteers each year: 61
More about IABC
IABC members practice the disciplines of corporate communication, public relations, employee communication, marketing communication, media relations, community relations, public affairs, investor relations and government relations.
The association is organized into three levels:
- Chapters ‐ Chapters offer a range of local services, including regular professional development meetings and workshops, member newsletters, awards programs and job placement. Chapters also provide an excellent opportunity for local networking with peers.
- Regions ‐ Regions provide services ranging from management support for chapters to annual conferences and awards programs.
- International ‐ The international level of the association offers an array of direct services to individual members as well as management support to chapters and regions.